Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Show Me Something!

Yesterday, I finished the trial run of a class called Show Me Something! This was a class designed for young dancers to get their feet wet in the pool of showing off in dance jams and gearing up for dance competition. I had been pitching this class for many years, definitely remember pitching this way before the advent of Covid-19. It was a program developed based on some of the ideas I had for a class on game show competition. 

The name of the class comes from something our bunch in Los Angeles used to yell at each other during jams and competitions. The sentiment is shared with love. 

In any case, I put the class on its feet this June and I'm so glad at the response. Students got some ideas about setting goals, facing challenges, how to deal with the anxiety of preparation, and how to work together to honor your own values and your partners. At least that's what I hoped they'd get. 

Below are drafts of a few of the emails I sent to the class. I'll also share some of the homework and bonus items I gave them along the way. 

*** 

Thanks for being part of the Show Me Something experience! Today we did a very brief jam and then played with a head-to-head competition format, with two couples facing off against each other. Some of the observers volunteered to look for and give positive feedback, either dance feedback or NON-dance feedback. I gave feedback for some things to work on to each group. 

After that we looked at some sample Relative Placement sheets so that students could have an idea how to interpret that information. 

I finally was able to shoot some footage of the Fizz jam so I’ll be sharing that here. However I must be firm with a piece of advice, especially if you have never watched yourself dancing before - PLEASE BE KIND TO YOURSELF! Certainly you can and should use your footage to give direction to your dancing, however if you notice that the self-criticism gets rough then I urge you to take a breath. If you have strong feelings about watching yourself dance, feel free to reach out to me privately. I’ve added a video from Ira Glass that echoes a lot of the advice I would give you, so maybe check that out as well!

NEXT WEEK On Monday I’m gonna give you a chance to try a phrase battle, my hope is that everyone will jump in and do 8 eight-counts of a song, most similar to the format of the ULHS video in the playlist. I’ll assign partners and probably give you time to come up with a plan of attack, and then we’ll go! (If you’re not sure what you’d want to do with 8 eight-counts, my first advice is to watch some videos and steal liberally, at least in class you won’t get busted for it.) 

Before we finish next Monday, I’d love to hear your questions about exploring partnerships, how to manage your emotions as a competitor, etc. Anyway, as always please feel free to reach out to me with any questions, concerns, feedback, etc. Hope you’re well and see you soon! 

*** 

Hey y’all, Here’s another check-in email. This one has stuff I’d like you to play with and potentially prepare before class on Monday. The first chunk is about the format we’re trying out. Then a note about cameras. Finally a reminder of your homework! 

PREPARE TO BATTLE! I mentioned in my last email that we’d be working on the phrase/spotlight battle format, with eight 8-counts each turn. Here’s a video of contest in that format, from Camp Hollywood in 2019. The phrase battle starts about a minute and a half in. 

If you’re curious about the narrative shape of a phrase battle, here’s one way to look at it in terms of story beats (like acts of a play, or the moments of a wrestling match): 

Beat 0: JOCKEY! 
Beat 1: Make your entrance, make yourself known 
Beat 2: Find the pattern, break the pattern 
Beat 3: Heighten and explore 
Beat 4: Surprise! 
Beat 5: Hold the attention as you leave the spotlight 

With this perspective on a phrase/spotlight battle, Beats 1-4 would be your proper assigned eight sets of 8-counts. Beat 0 is just before you enter and Beat 5 is after the eight-eights. I have thoughts about how this is applied by various couples in the CH 2019 video, to varying degrees of success. I’m gonna let you @ me on that, because maybe you should determine what’s fun for you and start looking at how this works in context of a whole set of competitors. And if any of you want to meet up and play with the format together, I’m not against that at all! 

PHONES! Aside from the Phrase Battle, I realized that we’re not getting a lot of footage in class, so please also bring a tripod or other camera stabilizer, if you own one, so each of us has more time and access to their videos in class. We’re gonna do a few phrase battles, with the hope that you watch yourself after our first attempt before we do a second. If you don’t own a proper phone stabilizer, bring something like a bag to prop your phone up against. I’m planning to bring maybe a few tripods myself, depending on what I can carry. 

HOMEWORK The homework is listed again below the sig, so I hope you can spend some time on it! Please let me know if you have any questions and all that. Have a great week! 

Sincerely, 
Neil Figuracion 
Fad23 

*** 

Hey there! 

Thank you for joining me for Show Me Something! I've been pitching this class for so many years and I'm glad it finally got a chance to breathe. I appreciate you being there so much! Last night's class was one that many students anticipated with anxiety, but I also believe it was a bit of a threshold for everyone to cross, we did phrase battles! 

Well, first we spent a few minutes doing a warmup dance, thanks to Desiree Roffers for helping me know what the issue was with the sound last week. If I had my druthers, I'd lead a half hour warmup, and really get everyone moving, but sadly there's never the time here. 

We checked in about the homework. A few folks really found Alive & Kicking to be inspirational! I'm not going to unpack all of the comments about the shorter videos (I didn't take notes) but it was great to see new ideas about how others were soaking that in. 

Next we started our phrase battles! I assigned partnerships and gave everyone the basic format. Initially folks were were worried about counting out 8 counts of eight. So we did that together as a group, and we noted that if the music is well chosen for the format, then the lead-in should be intuitive. 

So we created a lineup order, and everyone got a chance to do a phrase of 8 eight counts, to Minor Swing, by Django Reinhardt and Stéphane Grappeli

This was followed by 10 minutes of collaboration with the same partner, about what we might do with 8 eight-counts in the imminent future. I set up tripods during this time, so I wasn't able to interact with pairings. My advice today is that choreo might or might not serve each of you. Maybe the plan could include some level of Improvisation, Musicality or Self-expression. The main point is that each partner could consider their own values, priorities, etc and play together to find an approach that touches on those! 

After 10 minutes of prep time, we got a second phrase battle.

A lot of the students expressed some level of anxiety, but in the end it seemed like folks were glad to have taken the leap! 

We had three cameras rolling, so we split up into groups so everyone could get a look during class. I reminded everyone that we use our footage as a tool to learn what you'd like to improve rather than a hammer to hit yourself in the head with. It seemed to me that folks came away with the beginnings of a plan! Teaching this class has been an honor. I hope that it is just the next step in your development, and that you have a long and inspiring journey ahead! 

If you would like to send a testimonial about your experience learning with me, which I might use for promotion, I'd really appreciate it. And as usual, if you have further questions, concerns, ideas, etc. please feel free to reach out to me! 

Sincerely, 
Neil Figuracion 
Fad23 

*** 

HOMEWORK 
Week 1 



Week 2 
Competition Footage (Watch One Clip a Day!) - 

Documentary - Alive and Kicking 


Develop questions about how to partner Prepare for next week's phrase battle! Watch competitive video and rank dancers. Compare to actual ranking 

BE KIND TO YOURSELF! 

Week 3 


BONUS This video showed up in my Facebook feed from like 20 years ago. LA LindyBinge 2002

And speaking of other old stuff, this was a contest with me from 2001, the Hal Bal

No comments:

Post a Comment