Monday, September 19, 2011

Shine

There's a notion I learned about way back when called Shine. Shortly, that is the way a dancer is able to make themselves stand out, to radiate, to make themselves be seen.

This comes up because over in my other blog, I've been discussing improv and in improv, I've been teaching notions of how to share focus.

As I remember it I was in a talk with the late John Mills and he brought up the notion of shine steps. He suggested that there were three ways to shine: she shines, he shines and both shine.

Since I've been working in improv more recently, it occurs to me that shine steps take at least an ounce of listening. Each dancer might want to consider their partner, if at least to discern, whether there will be a shine opportunity.

There's certainly more to this, but I'd rather just open the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment